ISIS Claims Deadly Ariana Grande Concert Bombing That Killed 22
"ISIS soldiers planted explosive devices among a Crusaders gathering in Manchester," said the group on the messaging app Telegram.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert in the British city of Manchester Monday night that killed 22 people and wounded 59 others.
“ISIS soldiers planted explosive devices among a Crusaders gathering in Manchester,” said the group in an official statement on the messaging app Telegram. They added, “the next attack will be stronger and more lethal, against the worshipers of the Cross.”
The suspected attacker has been identified by police as the 23-year-old Salman Abedi, who was already known to the authorities, according to CBS News.
Shortly after explosion at around 10:30 pm local time at the Manchester Arena, jihadi sympathizers on online forums and social media channels claimed that ISIS was taking revenge for Britain’s role in the U.S.-led coalition that is battling the group in Syria and Iraq.
Manchester police had been reporting that the attack was the work of an individual British-born bomber who used an improvised device. If confirmed to be the work of ISIS, it would mark the first attack organized by the group on British soil.
The Manchester Arena attack follows a vehicular attack in March, in which a British man claimed by ISIS rammed his car into a crowd of bystanders at Westminster Bridge in London, killing five.
This is a developing story.