We Hope This Is The Last We Hear About Samsung’s Exploding Phone

Airlines are finally allowed to retire their pre-flight announcements about the defective Galaxy Note 7

Photo Illustration: Diana Quach
Jan 11, 2017 at 4:09 PM ET

Next time you fly you will be spared from hearing the annoying reminder that Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone can self-combust and is not allowed to fly on the aircraft.

The Federal Aviation Administration released a statement this week saying that airlines no longer have to make pre-flight announcements about the Galaxy Note 7 being prohibited due to the likelihood of it combusting.

“The Department of Transportation removed the requirement for air carriers to specifically notify passengers about the Note 7 phone immediately prior to boarding due to the high degree of public awareness of the ban since issuance of the emergency restriction/prohibition order, as well as the extensive efforts by Samsung and U.S. wireless providers to make all Note 7 users aware the phone is recalled and banned from transport on U.S. aircraft,” read the press release.

More Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Won’t Explode If It Won’t Charge

This statement comes a month after most U.S. cellular carriers said they could push Samsung’s software update that permanently disables the smartphone from charging — because it can’t combust if it doesn’t have any juice. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile all waited to release the update until after the holidays, “in the heart of the holiday travel season.”

The Department of Transportation placed the ban on the smartphone back in October 2016 after Samsung first recalled the dangerous device. Passengers were not allowed to board with the phone on all domestic flights. Some international flight agencies also banned the phone from flying.

If passengers did board with a Note 7, then flight attendants had to place the devices in a fire-proof bag during travel time. Samsung took its security measures even further by setting up exchange booths at some airports.

Samsung said it has managed to collect 96 percent of all recalled units. If you’re one of the remaining 4 percent, make sure to exchange your phone for another before it stops charging completely and is rendered useless.