ISIS Claims Responsibility For Ax Attack In Germany
This marks the first time the terror group has said it was behind an attack in Germany
ISIS claimed responsibility for an attack on a train in Germany, marking the first time the terror group has said it was behind an act of violence in the country.
A man identified as a 17-year-old Afghan refugee, who was armed with a knife and an ax, injured at least four people on a train in Bavaria on Monday night, according to reports. In a bulletin released on Tuesday by ISIS’ al-Bayan radio, the terror group said “one of the soldiers of the caliphate” attacked “a gathering of the Crusaders” as part of a series of attacks targeting countries participating in the fight against ISIS. The countries “should expect worse,” said the statement, which Vocativ uncovered on al-Bayan’s channel on the messaging app Telegram.
In a statement earlier in the day, the ISIS-linked Amaq News Agency released a similar statement claiming ISIS was behind the violence.
Reports earlier on Tuesday said the German police found an ISIS flag in the suspect’s room, and that he reportedly shouted “Allahu Akbar,” meaning God is great, during the assault. Joachim Herrmann, Bavaria’s Interior Minister, said the suspect wrote notes that suggested he could have been self-radicalized, the Associated Press reported.
According to The Independent, the suspect had moved in with a foster family, and out of a home for unaccompanied refugee children, a few weeks ago.
The attack, and claim, came days after the Amaq agency said ISIS was behind the attack in the French city of Nice, in which 84 people were killed after a man drove a truck through a large crowd watching fireworks and celebrating Bastille Day.