INTERNET

Thirsty Instagram Users Are Afraid Of Changes

Starting this week Instagram will start showing you posts that it believes you want to see first

INTERNET
Mar 28, 2016 at 2:44 PM ET

This week, Instagram is changing its feed algorithm, and hundreds of thousands of selfie-takers and life bloggers are concerned about what the change means for viewership of their face.

Since Instagram’s initial release in 2010, the photo-sharing app has presented photos in reverse-chronological order. Five and a half years and one Facebook acquisition later, Instagram is shifting the delivery method, choosing to show the photos it intuits users want to see first. Instagram announced the change two weeks ago in a post explaining that the new order will be based on relationships and timeliness, though all the posts from accounts you follow will still be viewable.

According to Instagram, users miss an average of 70 percent of the photos in their feeds. The company wants to make sure the most relevant posts fit within the remaining 30 percent. “If your favorite musician shares a video from last night’s concert, it will be waiting for you when you wake up, no matter how many accounts you follow or what time zone you live in,” the announcement post reads. “And when your best friend posts a photo of her new puppy, you won’t miss it.”

The change is an attempt to help users keep up with the glut of information pouring into social media apps. Facebook started experimenting with new feed algorithms in 2009 and Twitter followed suit last February. In both cases, users rebelled, creating angry Facebook groups and hashtag campaigns. The reaction to Instagram’s change has been no different.

Hundreds of thousands of Instagram users have posted images over the last couple days asking followers to turn on push notifications for their accounts so that none of their posts are missed. Simply search #turnonpostnotifications or #turnmeon and you’ll see a virtually endless stream of personalized images asking you to take your Insta-relationship with them to the next level.

Con questa animazione sculettante, vi faccio una notifica: se vi va, attivate le notifiche sul cell per i nuovi aggiornamenti del mio profilo in alto a destra cliccando su i tre puntini ••• ↗↗ ↗↗↗↗ Questo perche? Come sta scrivendo il mondo intero, Instagram ha annunciato che presto cambiera’: le foto delle persone che seguiamo e che vediamo nella nostra bacheca IG non saranno piu’ visibili in ordine cronologico, ma secondo un algoritmo, esattamente come accade su FB. Questo che vuol dire? Non vedremo piu’ i post di tutte le persone che seguiamo. Il consiglio che viene dato da molti, se volete continuare a vedere le foto dei profili che seguite sulla vostra bacheca, e’ di: ✔ATTIVARE LE NOTIFICHE SUL CELL QUANDO PUBBLICO UNA NUOVA FOTO: in alto a destra, proprio dove indico nell’animazione, entrando nella homepage del mio profilo, vedrete 3 puntini, cliccate e cliccate poi su “Attiva notifiche”. Se poi le notifiche vi sembrano troppo invasive, fate la stessa operazione al contrario e clicca su “Disattiva notifiche”. Vi consiglio di provare e vedere come va. ✔ VISITARE IL MIO PROFILO IG: se da domani non vedete piu’ le mie fotografie sulla vostra bacheca, semplicemente giornalmente entrate sul mio profilo, oramai lo sapete, ogni giorno pubblico diversi contenuti! E poi una piccola riflessione personale: era ovvio che succedesse, i social sono estremamente volubili e i cambiamenti non dipendono da noi ma solo da terze parti. C’e’ solo un posto che non cambia mai, che rimarra’ stabile e sicuro. Il blog. Li mi vedrete sempre, come da questi 6 anni, tutti i giorni ENGLISH SOON INSTAGRAM IS CHANGING: the photos of the people that we follow on IG that we see on our home feed will no longer be viewed in chronological order but according to an algorithm, exactly like what happened with Facebook. The advice given by most people if you want to continue to see my photos on your feed is: ✔️TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS FOR MY PAGE WHEN I POST A NEW PHOTO: on the top right, click on the three dots and click “turn on post notifications”

A video posted by Irene Colzi – Irene’s Closet (@ireneccloset) on