The Policy describes the ways we collect and use information we obtain on Vocativ and the rights and options available to you with respect to your information.
Information that you provide
Registration is not mandatory for using Vocativ. However, certain features on Vocativ are only available to registered users.
When you register to Vocativ, we will ask you to provide certain personal details, such as your e-mail address, nickname of your choice and an optional profile image. Bear in mind that false, incorrect, or outdated information may impair our ability to provide you with Vocativ and contact you when necessary. We will explicitly indicate the fields for mandatory completion. If you do not enter the requisite information in these fields, you may not be able to register to Vocativ.
When you engage in certain activities on Vocativ and when you submit a request or inquiry to us, you may be asked to provide additional personal details, depending on the activity, request or inquiry.
Further information may be collected when we exchange communications with you, for example, when you submit a request to Vocativ’s user support.
Information that we automatically collect
We may collect further information when you access Vocativ. For example, we may record the frequency and scope of your use of Vocativ, the webpages that you have visited, clicked or interacted with on Vocativ, the content you have viewed, the Internet protocol (IP) address from which you have accessed Vocativ and the browser you use, its version and language (i.e. locale) preferences.
Information collected through cookies and other automated data collection means
These technologies may contain a variety of information, such as information relating your Vocativ account log-in session and your user-comments, including, for example, your IP address, the type of browser you use, and how often you are visiting Vocativ.
These cookies are saved on your computer’s hard drive. If you wish to block Vocativ’s cookies, refer to the help menu in your browser and follow the instructions there. However, bear in mind that disabling cookies may complicate or even prevent you from accessing or using Vocativ, or certain features thereof.
Additionally, we do not respond to web browser-based do-not-track signals at this time.
We do not intentionally or knowingly collect personal information of children who are under 13 years of age. Children may not register or use Vocativ.
How we use information we collect
We may use information that we obtain for the following purposes:
- To enable you to use, and provide you with, Vocativ, its features and functionalities;
- To improve and customize your experience on Vocativ, the experience of other users of Vocativ and to develop new services;
- To provide you with support, handle complaints and contact you when we believe it to be necessary;
- To send you our periodic newsletter, as well as updates, notices and announcements related to Vocativ;
- To provide you with marketing and advertising material or to serve advertisements to you;
- To conduct surveys and questionnaires;
- To enforce the Terms and this Policy and prevent fraud, misappropriation, infringements, identity theft and other unalwful activities and misuse of Vocativ;
- To comply with any applicable law and assist law enforcement agencies and competent authorities, when we have a good faith belief that our cooperation with them meets the applicable legal standards; and
- To take any action in any case of dispute involving you, with respect, or in relation to Vocativ.
Sharing information with others
We do not sell, rent or lease your personally identifiable information to third parties for any of their marketing purposes. We may share your information with others in any of the following instances:
- Your information may be shared with our partners, affiliates, service providers and subcontractors in order to operate, maintain and enhance Vocativ, facilitate your use of Vocativ and its features and functionalities, to serve advertisements to you, and for the other purposes described in the section titled “How we use information we collect”;
- Your Vocativ account profile image (if uploaded), your Vocativ account nickname and the text of your comment may be publicly posted on Vocativ whenever you submit a user-comment to a news-piece on Vocativ. These may be accessible to, and viewed by, all Internet users, not just Vocativ users;
- If we reasonably believe that you have breached the Terms, or abused your rights to use Vocativ, or performed any act or omission that we reasonably believe to be violating any applicable law, rules, or regulations. We may share your information, in these cases, with law enforcement and other competent authorities, and with any third party, as may be required to handle any result of your wrongdoing;
- If we are required, or reasonably believe that we are required, by law, to share or disclose your information;
- In any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind, involving you, with respect, or in relation to Vocativ;
- In any case we reasonably believe that sharing your information is necessary to prevent imminent bodily harm or damage to property;
- If we organize the operation of Vocativ within a different framework, or through another legal structure or entity, or if we are acquired by, or merged into or with another entity, provided however, that those entities agree to be bounded by the provisions of this Policy, with reasonably necessary changes taken into consideration; and
- We may also share information we obtain with our subsidiaries, sister-companies and parent companies, but their use of such information must comply with this Policy.
In any case other than the above, we will share information we collect with others only if we receive your explicit prior consent.
We may collect anonymous and aggregated information through Vocativ. We may, at the our sole discretion, use such information, in any way, including posting, disseminating, transmitting or otherwise communicating or making it available to any third party, for any purpose, including commercial purposes.
In certain cases, when we ask for your personally identifiable information, we provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of having it used for certain purposes.
For instance, if you no longer wish to receive our newsletter, you may opt-out of receiving it by changing your account preferences on Vocativ, or by following the instructions included at the bottom of each newsletter emailed to you.
You also have the option of leaving your Vocativ account profile image blank or changing it to a blank image at any time after you have registered.
You control what social network actions to take (if any) via Vocativ. You may disconnect from your social network account through every Vocativ webpage.\
You may also opt-out of certain targeted advertising and automated data collection technologies from third party companies, as described in the“Advertising” section below.
We may use third party companies to serve advertisements to you. These advertisements are sometimes targeted and served to particular users. These companies may collect information about you and/or use their own tracking technologies to obtain information about you, such as cookies, web beacons or pixel tags. They typically do not automatically collect any personal information, such as your name or e-mail address. Vocativ is not responsible for the privacy policies or contents of these advertisers or other sites or businesses. Please visit the sites of these businesses to review their privacy policies.
Please refer to our Advertising Addendum to learn more about the third party advertising companies that we use, and the options that you may have to opt out of the targeted advertising and cookies and other automated technologies used by those companies. Many of the companies we work with are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which provides a simple way for you to opt-out of ad targeting from participating entities. Please visit www.networkadvertising.org/choices for more information. Similarly, some of the companies we work with may be members of the Digital Advertising Alliance. And you can learn about opting out of advertisement targeting from participating companies at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
Third Party Links
Vocativ may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices these other websites. Please review their privacy policies to better understand their privacy practices.
Accessing your personal information
You may access your account profile on Vocativ at any time, and review your profile information. If you find that the information in your account is not accurate, complete or updated, then you must correct it. Please keep in mind that false, incorrect, or outdated information may prevent you from registering with Vocativ and impair our ability to provide you with Vocativ.
Deleting your account
You may request the deletion of your account on Vocativ by contacting our support team at: email@example.com. Once we complete processing your request, your Vocativ account and the account information you provided during registration, will be removed from our servers. When processing your request, we may require that you provide us with additional information to verify your identity.
Be advised that deleting your account on Vocativ will not remove Vocativ comments that you have posted (or your nickname and account profile image, which appear next to the commenting text). These may still be accessible to, and viewed by, all Internet users, as well as Vocativ users.
We retain information we collect or otherwise obtain as long as we deem necessary for our business needs. We may delete your information from our systems, without notice to you, once we deem it is no longer necessary for our business needs.
Transfer of data outside your territory
Vocativ, by its nature as an online service, may store and process information in various sites throughout the globe. If you are a resident in a jurisdiction where transfer of your personal information to another jurisdiction requires your consent, then you provide us your express and unambiguous consent to such transfer.
We implement some measures to secure your personal information, to minimize the risks of theft, damage, loss of information, or unauthorized access or use of information.
However, these measures are unable to provide complete information security. Therefore, we cannot guarantee and you cannot reasonably expect that Vocativ and its servers will be immune from any wrongdoings, malfunctions, unlawful interceptions or access, or other kinds of abuse and misuse, or that your private communications on or through Vocativ will remain absolutely private.
You agree to be bound by all changes made in this Policy. Your continued use of Vocativ after the amended policy has become effective will indicate your acceptance of the amended policy. If you do not agree with the amended policy, you must avoid any further use of Vocativ.
You may send us requests, responses, questions and complaints through the channels listed at vocativ.com/contacts/. We will make efforts to address your inquiry quickly.
Updated: June 19, 2015.