Female baker taking bread from oven, side view

Three Jobs Pay American Women More Than Men

And believe it or not, that's a 50% increase on the year before

Only three — three! — jobs in America pay women, on average, a better wage than they do men performing the same job, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. And that’s an improvement.

The BLS released a big report on women in the workplace on Tuesday, containing several pages of data on what women and men each earn across a range of occupations. The full report is available here, and the tables you’ll want to look at start on page 61—specifically, the right-hand column that gives you a readout on women’s pay as a percentage of men’s.

In that report, which was culled from 2012 data, there are actually only two occupations listed as paying women a median weekly wage higher than was paid to men (scroll down to page 65 to find it). According to the release, if you are a health practitioner support technologist or technician, you are paid more, on average, if you’re female than if you’re male; women in that bracket earned 103.7 percent of what their male counterparts did. Female counselors, too, earned 102.6 percent of what males in the same field took home.

One of just two jobs the BLS said pays better if you're female.

That BLS report relies on old data, though. The most recent numbers available—taken from 2013—tell a slightly different story.

The fresher figures show a whopping three professions in which women definitely earn more than menbakers, buyers and the “all other” category of computer occupations. “Other,” in this case, means computer workers other than developers of apps or software, programmers, network architects, database admins, infosec specialists, systems analysts, support specialists or network admins—that’s 90 percent of computer jobs. So, for the remaining 10 percent of jobs in the computer field, women earn more than men. Across the computing field in general, however, women earn on average just 80 percent of what their male colleagues earn.

On a weekly basis, men pocket a little over $17.2 billion more than women in the U.S. The report is a pretty damning indictment of income disparity in the United States, and runs counter to the AP report published earlier today that found the median CEO pay for women in the top tier was higher than that earned by men. And while three jobs in which women earn more than men is a teeny, tiny bit better than two, things were much better back in 2010, when there were 15 jobs in which women could command more cash than men. So we’re sliding back in time. Go figure.

Respond Now
GUNS

Model Sets Off Firestorm With Gun Tweet, But Data Proves She's Right

M.L. Nestel
CELEBRITY

Remember Chunk from "The Goonies"? He's a Lawyer

Molly Fitzpatrick
US POLITICS

VOTR App: "Tinder for Politics"

Rebecca Steinberg
SOCIETY

8 Toys 'R' Us Products More Disturbing Than the "Breaking Bad" Dolls

Molly Fitzpatrick
BUSINESS

The Booming Black Market for Chocolate Milk

Gabriel Bell
SPORT

Every Major League Baseball Team's Victory Song, Ranked

Molly Fitzpatrick
NAT SEC

Why the U.S. Drone War Could Last Forever

John Knefel
SOCIETY

Sorry I Ran You Over. Now Please Pay Me $2,000

M.L. Nestel
Join the Fray
“Rollin’ Coal” Is Pollution Porn for Dudes With Pickup Trucks